Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentoxifylline 400mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for TRENTAL:
400mg three times daily with meals. Continue for at least 8 weeks. Digestive or CNS effects: lower dosage to 400mg twice daily; discontinue if side effects persist. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): 400mg once daily.
Recent cerebral or retinal hemorrhage. Methylxanthines intolerance (eg, caffeine, theophylline, theobromine).
Discontinue if anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction occurs. Monitor for bleeding including hematocrit, hemoglobin in patients with hemorrhagic risk factors (eg, recent surgery, peptic ulcer, cerebral and/or retinal bleeding). Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May potentiate antihypertensives; monitor BP. Concomitant theophylline-containing drugs; monitor closely and adjust dose. Bleeding with concomitant NSAIDs, anticoagulants, or platelet aggregation inhibitors. Concomitant warfarin; monitor PT frequently. May be potentiated by strong CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin, fluvoxamine), cimetidine.
Hemorrheologic agent (xanthine).
GI upset, nausea, dyspepsia, flushing, agitation, headache, dizziness, insomnia, blurred vision.
Renal (primarily), fecal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy