Generic Name and Formulations:
Febuxostat 40mg, 80mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Indications for ULORIC:
Chronic management of hyperuricemia in patients with gout.
≥18yrs: initially 40mg once daily. Obtain target serum uric acid levels <6mg/dL after 2 weeks of initiating therapy; if not <6mg/dL, may increase to 80mg once daily. Gout flare prophylaxis, with an NSAID or colchicine, upon initiation of therapy and for up to 6 months, is recommended. Severe renal impairment: max 40mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant azathioprine, mercaptopurine.
Not for treating asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Cardiovascular events: monitor for signs and symptoms of MI and stroke. Measure LFTs at baseline and if liver injury is suspected; interrupt therapy if ALT>3xULN and investigate cause. Do not restart if ALT>3xULN with serum total bilirubin >2xULN without alternative etiologies; for lesser elevations, use with caution. Severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment (see Adult) or ESRD on dialysis. Secondary hyperuricemia (eg, Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, malignant disease, or in organ transplant recipients): not recommended. Discontinue if serious skin reactions are suspected (eg, DRESS, TEN). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
See Contraindications. Potentiates xanthine oxidase substrate drugs (eg, theophylline).
Abnormal LFTs, nausea, arthralgia, rash; gout flares, hepatic failure.
Tabs 40mg—30, 90, 500; 80mg—30, 100, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Finding Clinical Trials in Cancer
- Adding Nintedanib Did Not Improve Survival in Lung Cancer Subtype
- The Identification of a Potential Early Plasma Biomarker for Kidney Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy Extended Survival Longer Than Chemotherapy Alone: Study
- Combining Chemotherapy With Checkpoint Inhibitors Extends Overall Survival in ES-SCLC
- In a Head-to-Head Battle, Brigatinib Appears to Best Crizotinib