Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 1g, sulbactam sodium 0.5g (1.5g vial); or ampicillin sodium 2g, sulbactam sodium 1g (3g vial); IM or IV inj; sodium content 5mEq/g of ampicillin.
Indications for UNASYN:
Susceptible skin and skin structure, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections.
Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. Normal renal function (CrCl ≥30mL/min): 1.5–3g IM or IV every 6hrs; CrCl 15–29mL/min: 1.5–3g every 12hrs; CrCl 5–14mL/min: 1.5–3g every 24hrs.
Intraabdominal infections: not recommended. Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. <1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr (<40kg): 300mg/kg per day IV in equally divided doses every 6hrs; usual max 14 days. ≥40kg: as adult.
Previous history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction. Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy.
Mononucleosis: not recommended. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or skin lesions progress. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. Increased incidence of rash with allopurinol. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Inj site reactions, diarrhea, rash, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), severe skin reactions (eg, SJS, TEN, dermatitis exfoliative, erythema multiforme, AGEP).
Vials (1.5g, 3g)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy