Pemetrexed plus Cisplatin Safe, Effective for Advanced Urothelial Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the British Journal of Cancer, the combination of pemetrexed and cisplatin shows activity and is well tolerated for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
For the phase 2 study, researchers sought to evaluate the efficacy and safety of pemetrexed, which has previously demonstrated a 30% response rate with minimal toxicity when used as monotherapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma, plus cisplatin for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
In the single-arm, multicenter, open-label study, researchers enrolled 42 patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma. Patients had a median age of 66 years and an ECOG performance score of 0-1. Of those enrolled, about 55% had visceral metastases and 57.1% had recurrent disease. All patients received pemetrexed 500mg/m2 intravenously plus cisplatin 70mg/m2 intravenously on day 1 every 3 weeks.
Results showed 27 partial responses, which corresponds to an overall response rate of 64.3% (95% CI: 49.2 - 77.0).
In addition, seven patients had stable disease. The median progression-free survival was 6.9 months (95% CI: 6.2 - 7.6) and the median overall survival was 14.4 months (95% CI: 10.4 - 18.4). In regard to safety, 28.6% of patients experienced grade 3 or 4 neutropenia, but no patients had febrile neutropenia.
Pemetrexed and cisplatin shows activity for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Combination Abiraterone Acetate, Radium-223 Not Recommended in CRPC With Bone Mets
- Brigatinib Found More Effective for ALK-positive NSCLC Brain Mets Compared With Crizotinib
- Higher Baseline AFP Linked to Greater Benefit With Cabozantinib in Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- A Big BiTE: Tetravalent BiTE Highly Potent in HER2-positive Breast Cancer Models