Pemetrexed plus Cisplatin Safe, Effective for Advanced Urothelial Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the British Journal of Cancer, the combination of pemetrexed and cisplatin shows activity and is well tolerated for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
For the phase 2 study, researchers sought to evaluate the efficacy and safety of pemetrexed, which has previously demonstrated a 30% response rate with minimal toxicity when used as monotherapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma, plus cisplatin for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
In the single-arm, multicenter, open-label study, researchers enrolled 42 patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma. Patients had a median age of 66 years and an ECOG performance score of 0-1. Of those enrolled, about 55% had visceral metastases and 57.1% had recurrent disease. All patients received pemetrexed 500mg/m2 intravenously plus cisplatin 70mg/m2 intravenously on day 1 every 3 weeks.
Results showed 27 partial responses, which corresponds to an overall response rate of 64.3% (95% CI: 49.2 - 77.0).
In addition, seven patients had stable disease. The median progression-free survival was 6.9 months (95% CI: 6.2 - 7.6) and the median overall survival was 14.4 months (95% CI: 10.4 - 18.4). In regard to safety, 28.6% of patients experienced grade 3 or 4 neutropenia, but no patients had febrile neutropenia.
Pemetrexed and cisplatin shows activity for the treatment of patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Watchful Waiting in Localized Prostate Cancer
- Investigational Antiandrogen Drug Delays Metastasis in CRPC
- Treatment Guidelines in Cancer: Assessing Industry Influence on Recommendations
- American Society of Breast Surgeons Recommends Genetic Testing for All Patients With Breast Cancer
- No Benefit Seen From HSCT in Hypodiploid B-ALL
- Patients With CP-CML Deemed Less Likely to Continue Taking Generic Imatinib
- Opinion: Understanding the FDA's Take on Cannabidiol