Generic Name and Formulations:
Histrelin acetate 50mg; SC implant.
Indications for VANTAS:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Insert 1 implant SC in the inner aspect of the upper arm. Remove after 12 months; may replace.
Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers. Not for use in women or children.
Initial transient increase in serum testosterone may result in worsening signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria). Metastatic vertebral lesions, urinary tract obstruction (monitor closely in 1st few weeks). Avoid wetting inserted arm for 24hrs and heavy lifting or strenuous exertion for 1st week. Increased risk of developing diabetes; monitor blood glucose and HbA1c periodically; treat if occurs. Increased risk of developing MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor for signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease. May prolong QT/QTc interval in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor ECGs. If electrolyte abnormalities occur, correct and monitor. Measure serum testosterone, PSA levels periodically. Implant not visible on X-ray.
May interfere with pituitary gonadotropic and gonadal function tests. Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Hot flashes, fatigue, implant site reactions, testicular atrophy, renal impairment; hyperglycemia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease.
Kit—1 (w. implant and supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy