Generic Name and Formulations:
Teniposide 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol, Cremophor EL (polyoxyethylated castor oil), dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for VUMON:
Refractory childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Adults and Children:
See literature. Give as slow IV infusion (at least 30–60 minutes). Patients failing induction therapy with a cytarabine-containing regimen: 165mg/m2 + cytarabine twice weekly for 8 to 9 doses. Refractory to vincristine/prednisone-containing regimen: 250mg/m2 + vincristine weekly for 4 to 8 weeks + oral prednisone for 28 days.
Severe myelosuppression. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions following infusion; have epinephrine available. Risk of hypotension with rapid IV administration. Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor and obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, platelets, renal and hepatic functions before, during, and after therapy. Down syndrome (use reduced dose). Monitor children with hypoalbuminemia. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by tolbutamide, sodium salicylate, and sulfamethizole. Concomitant vincristine sulfate may cause neuropathy. Concomitant antiemetics in patients given high doses of teniposide may increase risk of CNS depression, hypotension.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), mucositis, GI upset, infection, alopecia, bleeding, rash, fever, hypotension, CNS depression, hypersensitivity reactions (may be fatal).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma