Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethosuximide 250mg; caps.
Indications for ZARONTIN:
Initially: 500mg daily. Increase every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses.
<3yrs: not established. 3–6yrs: initially 250mg daily. >6yrs: initially 500mg daily. Increase both every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses. Usual maintenance: 20mg/kg/day in divided doses.
Impaired hepatic or renal function. May precipitate tonic-clonic seizures. Discontinue at 1st sign of rash; consider alternative therapy if signs/symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome occurs. Evaluate immediately if signs/symptoms of DRESS/multi-organ hypersensitivity develop; discontinue if no alternative etiology. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation, unusual changes in mood/behavior. Monitor CBCs, kidney and liver function periodically. Change dose gradually. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor phenytoin, phenobarbital, valproic acid, other AEDs.
Blood dyscrasias, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, headache, GI upset, CNS and psychiatric effects, rash (may be fatal), SLE, DRESS, gingival hyperplasia.
Caps, syrup (YES)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma