Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin (as dihydrate) 2g; for ext-rel oral susp after reconstitution; cherry-banana flavor; contains 148mg Na+/bottle.
Indications for ZMAX:
Mild-to-moderate susceptible acute bacterial sinusitis in adults. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults and children ≥6mos old.
Adults and Children:
Take on an empty stomach. Sinusitis: 2g once. CAP: <6mos: not established. ≥6mos: <34kg: 60mg/kg (27mg/lb) once; ≥34kg: 2g once. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour post-dose or delayed gastric emptying, consider alternative therapy.
Macrolide or ketolide related allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior use.
Renal impairment (esp. GFR <10mL/min). Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Neonates: possible infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Possible QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval; avoid. Potentiated by nelfinavir. Monitor digoxin, cyclosporine, ergots, hexobarbital, phenytoin, warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache; rare: allergy (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), lab abnormalities; hepatotoxicity, torsades de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC