ZOMIG NASAL SPRAY Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolmitriptan 2.5mg, 5mg; per spray.
Impax Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ZOMIG NASAL SPRAY:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 5mg once. If headache returns, may repeat once after 2 hrs; max 10mg/day. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established. Moderate to severe hepatic impairment: use alternate formulation.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or arrhythmias associated with other cardiac accessory conduction pathway disorders. History of stroke, TIA, or hemiplegic or basilar migraine. Peripheral vascular disease. Ischemic bowel disease. Uncontrolled hypertension. Within 24 hours of ergot-type drugs or other 5-HT1 agonists. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs (type A).
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Discontinue if disturbances in cardiac rhythm occur. Rule out vasospastic reaction before receiving additional doses. Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Overuse may lead to exacerbation of headache (medication overuse headache). Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor BP. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
MAOIs (type A), methysergide, other ergotamines, other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, MAOIs; discontinue if suspected. Absorption and half-life increased by cimetidine.
Neck/throat/jaw pain/tightness/pressure, dizziness, paresthesia, asthenia, somnolence, warm/cold sensation, nausea, heaviness sensation, dry mouth; rare: serious cardiac events. Nasal spray: also taste disturbances, local reactions.
Tabs (YES); ZMT tabs, sprayer (NO)
Tabs, ZMT tabs 2.5mg—6; Tabs, ZMT tabs 5mg—3; Single-dose sprayer—6
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Despite Promising Trial Results, Skeptics Raise Red Flags About Anlotinib's Efficacy in Heavily Treated NSCLC
- Higher Risk of MGUS in Relatives of Patients With Multiple Myeloma Confirmed
- Brentuximab Vedotin Combo Active in Older Patients With Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer Drug Resistance Mediated by Epigenetic Changes
- Nilotinib and Dasatinib Confer Similar Outcomes for Chronic-Phase CML