Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine, live, attenuated; minimum of 19,400 PFU/0.65mL dose; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains porcine gelatin, neomycin and bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOSTAVAX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50 years of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating zoster or postherpetic neuralgia. Not for preventing primary varicella infection.
<50yrs: not recommended. ≥50yrs: one 0.65mL dose by SC inj once in upper arm. Administer immediately upon reconstitution.
Immunodeficiency (eg, HIV, leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow or lymphatic cancer, immunosuppressive therapy). Pregnancy (during and 3 months after vaccination).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Consider deferral in acute illness or acute untreated tuberculosis. May not protect 100% of recipients. Virus transmission may occur between recipients and susceptible contacts. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Immunosuppressants may cause disseminated disease. Consider administration of Zostavax and Pneumovax 23 vaccines separated by ≥4 weeks. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, swelling, pruritus), headache; cardiovascular events.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML